- Kitchen garden
- Bananas improvements
- Seed security for food security
- Agro Forestry
- Soil fertility and conservation techniques
- To sensitise groups to the dangers of poor nutrition and the importance of kitchen gardens and to train these groups in the establishments of kitchen gardens.
- Production of differnet types of vegetables and their utilization
Type of vegetable seeds given to farmers at household level:
– Sweet peppers
Advantages of Kitchen gardens
- To get nutrients from the vegetables
- Easy to prepare and manage
- Farmers are often not aware of how to cultivate vegetables
- Farmers fail to prepare a good kitchen garden
To ensure that groups are sensitised on the importance of good banana mangagement and to train groups in the techniques of banana management.
Techniques of banana management:
– Weeding/ Sanitation of the banana farm
– The use of natural fertilizer:
- Compost manure
- Green manure
- Liquid manure
We advise farmers to use compost manure because it remains in the soil and feeds the bananas for a long time.
Seed security for food security
- To sensitise Groups on the dangers of food insecurity and the imporfance of using good quality seeds and train Groups in the techniques of selection of muliplication of seed.
- To sensitise Groups on the importance of post havest food storage, to train Groups in the way of appropriate storage of seeds.
To ensure Groups are sensitised on the harms of bush burning, cutting trees and the importance of tree planting and train Groups in seed selection especially trees which are environmental friendly.
Harms of bush burning and cutting trees:
- Killing of beneficial micro-organism found in the soil
- Soil erossion can occur
- Decrease of rainfall
Soil fertility and conservation techniques
To ensure Groups are sensitised on the importance of soil fertility and the dangers of soil erosion, then to train Groups in the differnet techniques of soil fertility which are compostmanure, green manure, mulching. this techniques help to improve fertility in the soil.
Also to train Groups in soil and water mangement techniques (contour lines, trenches, trash lines)
Danger of soil eresion:
- Run-off of fertile soil
- Runf-off of differnet nutrient from the soil